Chapter 17

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Don't forget to leave a comment and tell me what you think about this chapter.

They briefed the patient and her family on the risks of the surgery.

'' Although this is an extremely high risk surgery, i strongly recommend it as this is your only shot at survival.'' Suzy said as she looked at the charts.

'' And there's definitely no other option for my daughter ? '' The mother asked.

'' Unfortunately not.''

Right at that moment,  Lee Hyeri bursted into the room, slightly out of breath '' Sorry i'm late. Good morning, i'm Dr Lee Hyeri, your anesthestist i have a few questions for you before the surgery.'' She paused as she looked at Suzy '' Dr Bae can you wait for me outside ? ''

When Hyeri was done questioning the patient, she found Suzy signing some documents at the nurse station, she walked towards her  '' So you are the surgeon that will be performing today's surgery - ? '' The doubt and surprise that filled Hyeri's voice earned an annoyed look from Suzy.

'' As i was saying earlier, there is no other option but this surgery.''  Suzy continued to look at the documents in front of her.

'' So you're the surgeon that will performing the lymphoma removal on the patient ? Are you sure you are capable ? Although you are extremely talented, two years ago you were only an attending doctor and four years before that you were just a resident.'' An incredulous look appeared on her face.

'' I've performed dozens of high risk surgeries with an extremely low mortality rate. So yes, i'm capable of performing this surgery successfully. A lot can change in two years. Just because i'm the youngest chief of cardio-thoracic surgery doesn't mean i'm not competent. I have been given this position because i earned it.'' She replied calmly.

'' Yes indeed, a lot of things can change in two years.'' Her eyes flashed as she matched Suzy's tone. '' I'm sorry, Suzy '' Hyeri's tone softened '' I just want you to be careful that's all.''

Suzy's expression softened at her confession '' You have the weirdest way of trying to make people feel better. Just stop it with the reverse psychology. ''

Hyeri winked at her '' Come one,  i have been away for two years just let me have some fun '' She paused as she looked at her watch  '' I have a meeting with a lovely person, i don't want to be late. So, i'll see you later in the OR ?''

Suzy smirked '' Fine, go enjoy your date. I'll see you later.''

An hour into the surgery, so far so good, Suzy thought as she sliced carefully through the thin wall of the right atrium, revealing the lymphoma, lying in the middle of a tangle of coronary veins.

'' Lancet blade please '' She said.

'' Dr Bae what method are you using ? I have never seen this technique before.'' A resident asked.

Suzy paused and grinned under her surgical mask '' I call it, the Bae method.'' This left the resident speechless. The murmur grew louder in the OR gallery as several doctors were watching the procedure. No one had ever felt this kind of static before. The feeling of trying and creating something new was electrifying.

Suzy worked for hours, slowly and carefully removing the lymphoma. Lost in deep concentration, she didn't notice Rosé slip into the OR gallery. She finally finished her rounds and heard that half the hospital was squashed into a tiny OR gallery, observing a world-first medical procedure.

Rosé gasped sharply when she saw Suzy operating. She was so calm and confident in every motion, she had never seen her so in her element before. She was happy that she was doing well.

'' She's brilliant isn't she ? ''

Rosé turned around, met by the director peering over her shoulder '' I have yet to meet a surgeon as brilliant as her. '' She paused '' You completed you residency at Johns Hopkins, you are on your way of becoming a great surgeon, you should use this opportunity to learn everything you can from Dr Bae.''

'' She's  something else '' She muttered distractedly as she watched Suzy.  She still hated the director though, things went downhill after the meeting because of him and his decisions.

The director smiled '' You're crying.''

'' Sorry, I'm just ... I'm just tired.'' Rosé turned away, embarrassed wiping her eyes.

He tipped his head to one side '' Do you know each other in a personal capacity ? ''

Rosé sighed '' Something like that.''

He said nothing, his eyes fixed on Suzy. The silence seemed to amplify the awkwardness until he rested a comforting hand on her shoulder and said '' It was the board's decision, not mine. I was once her supervisor and i know that she would never give special treatment to anyone '' He paused '' Sometimes, it's worthwhile to forget everything and just follow what the heart says. '' He looked at her '' Just some sage advice from an old man who's made a few mistakes of his own in the past.'' With that ending remark, he his heel and walked out of the room.

Making the final cut, Suzy successfully removed the lymphoma from the tangle of coronary arteries and from the inside layer of the right atrium. The occupants in the OR and the gallery broke into applause. She had just made medical history.

'' Thank you everyone for your hard work.''  Her eyes scanned the OR gallery, Ji Eun smiled at her and looked like she was about to burst with pride. Her heart skipped a beat as her eyes rested on the occupant of the next seat. She dragged her eyes from the intense stare radiating from Rosé when a resident interrupted her '' I can finish closing up Dr Bae.''

She smiled '' Thank you. You better not mess up the sutures.'' She said before she removed her gown and left the OR.

Rosé entered the elevator with a sigh, eager to get home after an exhausting day. She hadn't seen Suzy

Please log in to read the full chapter